- 9AM-Noon: GPSA / AFF SW Waterfront Cleanup site
- 7PM-9PM: Titanic 100 - A Commemoration at Waters Edge
The weather should be absolutely gorgeous the entire day. Come to the Southwest Waterfront in the morning to help with our AFF cleanup site (9AM-noon).
Grab lunch at one of the local restaurants (Cantina Marina, Station 4, or Z-Burger or any of the great new eateries in the Navy Yard neighborhood, where Justin's Cafe is having a Block Party!)
- Head across the river to Anacostia to check out the launch party for the must-see Lumen8Anacostia, a noon to midnight festival of light, art, music and fun!
- Buy a ticket to Long Day's Journey into Night at Arena Stage
- Stick around Navy Yard and watch the Nationals play the Reds and explore Global Nepal Fest at Yards Park (selected as one of America's Best New Parks by The Atlantic Cities)
Saturday, April 14, 2012 at dusk
- Hundreds of images of the Titanic, her construction, crew, passengers, rescue and history of the Titanic Memorial will be projected will be projected 50 feet high
- 1,517 luminaries will line both sides of the Southwest Waterfront Promenade, each bearing the name of a passenger and crew member lost in the disaster.
- Period music will be played throughout the event.
- At , a brass ensemble will present a live performance of "Nearer My G-d to Thee," the last song played by the ship’s musicians as the Titanic sank beneath the sea.
- There will be no speeches. The Southwest Community sees this as an opportunity for those who have been moved by the story of the Titanic to gather together and – at the waters edge -- be immersed in one of the most enduringly fascinating and epic events in maritime history.