For the benefit of all slipholders, a copy of the Wharf developer's transition plans with graphic depictions of the Phase II, PUD plan is now in the laundry room. Please feel free to look at but leave the books there for other slipholders to also be able to review. This is similar to what can be found on the Wharf website, but may be easier for some to access.
Nov 4, 2012
Apr 13, 2012
- 9AM-Noon: GPSA / AFF SW Waterfront Cleanup site
- 7PM-9PM: Titanic 100 - A Commemoration at Waters Edge
The weather should be absolutely gorgeous the entire day. Come to the Southwest Waterfront in the morning to help with our AFF cleanup site (9AM-noon).
Grab lunch at one of the local restaurants (Cantina Marina, Station 4, or Z-Burger or any of the great new eateries in the Navy Yard neighborhood, where Justin's Cafe is having a Block Party!)
- Head across the river to Anacostia to check out the launch party for the must-see Lumen8Anacostia, a noon to midnight festival of light, art, music and fun!
- Buy a ticket to Long Day's Journey into Night at Arena Stage
- Stick around Navy Yard and watch the Nationals play the Reds and explore Global Nepal Fest at Yards Park (selected as one of America's Best New Parks by The Atlantic Cities)
Saturday, April 14, 2012 at dusk
- Hundreds of images of the Titanic, her construction, crew, passengers, rescue and history of the Titanic Memorial will be projected will be projected 50 feet high
- 1,517 luminaries will line both sides of the Southwest Waterfront Promenade, each bearing the name of a passenger and crew member lost in the disaster.
- Period music will be played throughout the event.
- At , a brass ensemble will present a live performance of "Nearer My G-d to Thee," the last song played by the ship’s musicians as the Titanic sank beneath the sea.
- There will be no speeches. The Southwest Community sees this as an opportunity for those who have been moved by the story of the Titanic to gather together and – at the waters edge -- be immersed in one of the most enduringly fascinating and epic events in maritime history.
Apr 7, 2012
We look forward to welcoming you down to our neighborhood for the Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival today. If you haven't seen the latest schedule of events, be sure to check the National Cherry Blossom Festival website.
The following food trucks will be serving deliciousness all day:
- Fojol Bros
- Red Hook Lobster Pound
- DC Slices
- Cap Mac
- Sidewalk Sweetsations
- Goode's Mobile Kitchen
- Tasty Kabob
We'll be posting photos of the event to the GPSA Flickr Feed all day! Be sure to check back often to see the latest.
Remember, the event starts at 1PM, and the first 500 individuals that check-in at Washington Kastles Stadium will receive a free, reusable National Cherry Blossom Festival bag.
See you this afternoon!
Live-updated GPSA Flickr Feed Slideshow:
Mar 30, 2012
Mar 18, 2012
And amazing art in celebration of the centennial celebration is starting to pop up all around the Southwest Waterfront as well. Whether it's the fantastic public art installations from The 5x5 Project at Gangplank Marina or Arena Stage, boats bursting with pink, or preparations for the April 7 Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival, it seems that something exciting is happening every day. We'll try to keep you up to date on the latest, so be sure to check back often. In the meantime, here are some photos of what we've seen around the marina during the last couple of days:
Mar 4, 2012
We've been busy lately doing all sorts of exciting prep work for the Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival. Our latest effort was a proof of concept for some lighted cherry blossoms we hope to produce in vast numbers to help transform the marina with pink on 4.7.12. Check out the shots from our prototype session above.
If you don't have April 7 marked on your calendar already, make sure you add it now! The Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival will be huge for the centennial anniversary of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. We'll have 8 full hours of programming that will culminate in spectacular show of fireworks brought to Washington DC directly from Nagaoka City, Japan. For an example of the amazing fireworks shows that Nagaoka puts on every year, watch the video below:
More info on the Southwest Waterfront Fireworks Festival can be found below. We look forward to seeing you at what will surely be one of the highlights of the National Cherry Blossom Festival this year in Washington DC!
Jan 16, 2012
|Travis and Jess with their Peggie!|